Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hope this ends well...

I just enrolled in 5 3-credit hour classes. Most of these are online courses which means that I won't even have to look at a classrooom. While this gives me more time to sit around and do nothing, it will pretty much force me to adopt some form of discipline with my schoolwork because it will be up to me to keep updated on what is going on and such because I won't have to drag my fat, lazy ass into said classroom.

There is also the minor fact that one of my earlier professors mentioned something along the lines of keeping oneself from becoming overburdened with coursework: For every credit hour that you have, consider that you will need to dedicate an additional 3 hours of time away from the classroom just to that class for homework, research assignments, reading, etc. per week.

This basically means that a typical 3 credit hour course will require a total of 12 hours of time (3 in the class, 9 out of class) for everything that is involved in that course per week. That said, three 3 credit hour courses means one needs to dedicate about 36 hours per week, which is pretty much a full-time job. 4 credit hours would be 48 hours and 5 is 60 hours!

While this is sound logic, my experience up to this point has been hardly that dramatic with time requirements. I am fairly certain that I can attribute this to the fact that at this moment I am taking fairly basic courses (need my cores and foundations after all!), and they are thus fairly easy and not all that demanding. With that in mind, I am sort of middle of the road on exactly how well this will work.

For the time being, my chosen courses are pretty much the basics, so I should be able to make it all work somehow with little trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment